Anchorage Alaska boasts one of the best job markets in the nation, some of the best weather for winter activities along with one of the higher average incomes in the nation. As more and more people migrate to Anchorage it’s caused a boom in the need for qualified dentist to work on the dental health of the population. While searching for a dentist there are a few thing you should watch out for. Below is a list of the things you should look for when selecting a dentist as well as some of the sings that the dentist you’re considering probably isn’t the best bet for you.
What You Should Be Looking Out For When Selecting A Dentist
- Don’t be fooled by flashy advertising. A dentist who relies on flashy advertising as opposed to quality dental care is more concerned with profit than dental health. If the fees are lower than competing dentist it could be because the quality of care isn’t the same as other better dentists.
- Dependency on anesthesia. While sedation dentistry is recommended for those who can’t handle the anxiety and discomfort of general procedures. Some rely on it too much. Stay away from dentists who use IV anesthesia frequently. This indicates there isn’t a commitment to safe dentistry if they opt for this on most procedures.
- Pushing Supplements. While dental health is closely tied to your diet, dentists who push supplementation and vitamins are doing so only to boost profit. A dentist that doesn’t push supplements is concerned more about the quality of the work done as opposed to pushing the responsibility entirely on your diet.
- Watch out for those who ‘specialize’ in holistic or biological dentistry. These forms of dentistry don’t have the support of the scientific community behind them and are quackery at its finest. Instead, rely on someone who receives industry licenses and continues there education within the constraints of the ADA.
- Try and Convince you of your toxicity. Dentists who go beyond your dental health and try to convince you of heavy metal toxicity or try and diagnose problems outside of your gums, teeth or mouth should be avoided. As they don’t have the proper practice and credentials to make these types of calls you should refrain from taking yourself to someone who practices outside of their specialty. There are a number of other things to look out for when selecting a dentist, but the following suggestions will give you a nice baseline when searching for a dentist in Anchorage.